More than 12 women and 1 man have alleged they were sexually assaulted by a California surgeon and his girlfriend since they were arrested earlier this month for allegedly drugging and raping two women. Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas told reporters Friday that officials are widening their investigation into year-old Grant Robicheaux and year-old Cerissa Riley and are looking into alleged assaults that date back decades. Rackauckas said there is a possibility more charges could be filed, but could not predict whether or not the pair would be re-arrested. No arrests were immediately made, but the allegations sparked a two-year long probe into Robicheaux and Riley. They also found scores of images and video they believe to feature additional victims. The district attorney also encouraged anyone who believes they are victim to come forward and share information with his office.
Sexual assault charges against Bravo TV doctor, girlfriend to be dropped
By Joshua Rhett Miller. Criminal charges will be dropped against the reality TV show doctor and his girlfriend who were accused of raping and drugging seven women in California , prosecutors said. Robicheaux and Riley had both faced up to life in prison if convicted of the charges, including rape by use of drugs, oral copulation by use of anesthesia and assault with intent to commit a sexual offense. But Rackauckas later admitted in a sworn deposition in June that he used the case to attract publicity during his re-election campaign, leading Spitzer to order a complete review of the case, the district attorney said.
The review of evidence — including thousands of photographs, hundreds of hours of audio recordings and emails from alleged victims — revealed that not a single video or photograph of an incapacitated woman being sexually assaulted by Robicheaux or Riley was found, Spitzer said.
Newport Beach surgeon Grant Robicheaux and his girlfriend Cerissa Riley, accused in of drugging and sexually assaulting multiple.
AP — Prosecutors are dropping charges that a doctor who appeared on a reality TV show and his girlfriend raped and drugged women in California after finding key video evidence never actually existed, an official said Tuesday. At the time, authorities alleged that the pair plied their victims with drugs and sexually assaulted them when they were incapable of resisting. But the high-profile case that grabbed international headlines has been mired in controversy and steeped in a contentious political battle between Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer, who took office about a year ago, and his predecessor Tony Rackauckas.
During his election campaign, Spitzer accused Rackauckas of improperly handling the case and using it to draw publicity. On Tuesday, Spitzer said that after having attorneys in his office review extensive evidence including audio and video recordings, text messages and documents, he decided to ask the court to dismiss the case. The comments drew widespread media attention. The next month, Rackauckas filed additional charges on behalf of five additional alleged victims who had come forward.
Defense lawyers challenged the existence of videos showing sexual assault. Spitzer confirmed that. Spitzer said Rackauckas acknowledged during a civil deposition last year that he had hoped the case of the good-looking doctor and his girlfriend would bring him publicity during his re-election campaign. But the state determined there was no issue and the county should proceed.
He apologized to the defendants, the Newport Beach Police Department, the public and the alleged victims, and said he would meet with them to discuss his decision. Cohen said he hopes his client who was a renowned hand surgeon with a successful medical practice will be able to rebuild a life for himself.
Official: More possible victims of California doctor found
Grant Robicheaux. A former reality show contestant and prominent California surgeon has been arrested in connection to two sexual assaults, along with his girlfriend. During a press conference on Sept.
claimed they didn’t have enough evidence to prove the charges against orthopedic surgeon Grant Robicheaux and girlfriend Cerissa Riley.
Grant Robicheaux and Ceriss Riley appear outside of court on October The pair aren’t necessarily granted freedom. District Attorney Tony Rackauckas asked during a press conference in Santa Ana on September 18, , that other alleged victims come forward. Grant William Robicheaux, 38, and Cerissa Laura Riley, 31, are charged with sexually assaulting two women by use of drugs.
The D. Booking mug of Cerissa Laura Riley, 31, who is charged with sexually assaulting two women by use of drugs with Grant William Robicheaux, Booking mug of Newport Beach surgeon Grant William Robicheaux, 38, who is charged with sexually assaulting two women by use of drugs with Cerissa Laura Riley, Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas announced that more women have come forward alleging sexual assault in the case against Newport Beach surgeon Dr.
First they were accused of drugging and raping women while recording their exploits on a cell phone.
Judge Will Not Dismiss Charges Against Newport Beach Surgeon and Girlfriend Accused of Sex Crimes
One of seven women a Newport Beach surgeon is charged with drugging and raping filed a civil lawsuit this week against the doctor and his girlfriend, alleging the couple assaulted her in The woman is seeking unspecified damages from Dr. Jones also prohibited Robicheaux from practicing medicine as a condition of his bail. That order was affirmed by the Medical Board of California, which restricted his license until after his trial.
Prosecutor Drops Charges Against Doctor And Girlfriend Accused Of of videos – found “no provable evidence” that Grant Robicheaux,
Robicheaux and Riley had been accused of using dating apps to target women and sexually assaulting them after they were unconscious or incapacitated. Each pleaded not guilty to 17 counts connected to multiple victims. Prosecutors, led at the time by Tony Rackauckas, initially said there were more than 1, videos to support the charges. Robicheaux, who appeared on the Bravo TV reality show Online Dating Rituals of the American Male , lost his medical license after the accusations became public.
He may be considering legal action. Submissions are not monitored 24 hours a day. Please allow appropriate time for approval and posting process. Robicheaux said he never felt like the couple crossed the line. All rights reserved.
Unusual twist as California surgeon and girlfriend face new rape charges
All criminal charges will be dropped against a one-time contestant on a Bravo TV dating competition and his girlfriend, who had previously been accused of drugging and sexually assaulting numerous women, California authorities said Tuesday. Robicheaux and Riley both faced multiple felony charges, including rape by use of drugs, that could have led to them spending life in prison, if convicted.
Harvey Weinstein trial: Accuser Jessica Mann says she still considered him a ‘friend’ after alleged rape.
In , prosecutors said they found proof that Grant Robicheaux and the cable reality TV show Online Dating Rituals of the American Male.
Grant Robicheaux , 38, and his girlfriend, Cerissa Riley, 31, were charged with rape by use of drugs, kidnapping with the intent to commit a sexual offense and other crimes. In an unusual twist, Orange County Supervisor Todd Spitzer held a press conference and handed out copies of search warrant documents tied to the case. Spitzer, who is challenging longtime District Attorney Tony Rackauckas for his job in next month’s election, said the records show prosecutors should have acted sooner on the allegations after a January search of Robicheaux’s home.
Later in the day, the district attorney’s office complained to the judge that these records were sealed and the release could jeopardize the case. Judge Gregory Jones then ordered media outlets including The Associated Press, Orange County Register and others to return the copies and not to publish the contents. Authorities said Robicheaux, who once appeared in a reality TV show called “Online Dating Rituals of the American Male,” and Riley met women at social events in and once the women were intoxicated, brought them back to Robicheaux’s Newport Beach home and sexually assaulted them, prosecutors said.
Rape case to be dropped against doctor who was on reality TV
Prosecutors say at least six more possible victims have come forward in the rape case against Grant William Robicheaux, who charmed TV audiences by lamenting how hard it was for a busy surgeon like him to meet the right woman. Prosecutors say Robicheaux, 38, and his current girlfriend, Cerissa Laura Riley, 31, used their good looks and charm to drug and rape at least two women. Robicheaux and Riley are charged with rape by use of drugs, oral copulation by anesthesia or controlled substance, assault with intent to commit sexual offense, and possession of a controlled substance for sale.
Grant William Robicheaux, a Newport Beach orthopedic surgeon, and his girlfriend Cerissa Riley connected to two alleged assaults in
A judge denied Friday a request by the Orange County District Attorney’s Office to drop charges against a Newport Beach surgeon and his girlfriend, who are accused of drugging and sexually assaulting multiple women. Superior Court Judge Gregory Jones said in February he needed more time to consider a request by prosecutors to drop charges against Dr.
Grant Robicheaux, 39, and Cerissa Riley, Attorneys for the accusers want Jones to assign the case to the attorney general, who can take over the prosecution or hand it off to a special prosecutor. Jones added that it was his “obligation to ensure integrity of all prosecutions,” but that no one has filed a motion to recuse the District Attorney, which is seeking dismissal of the case. If the District Attorney’s Office is recused, then the case would be assigned to the state Attorney General’s Office, which could keep the case or assign it to a special prosecutor.
Defense attorney Philip Cohen demanded a preliminary hearing, but Jones noted that the defense has waived its right to a speedy preliminary hearing multiple times in the case, so the standard now is to schedule it in a “reasonable time” period, not within 60 days of charges being filed. Prosecutors had filed a brief, saying they do not take the request “lightly,” and added, they “are acutely aware of the gravity of this request and the pain it may cause the alleged victims.